SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Is cross stitch sturdy enough for a quilt?
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearliepie

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Is cross stitch sturdy enough for a quilt? Reply with quote

I'm collecting farm themed fabrics to make a quilt for Rocketpie, and I have a cross stitched horse that my mom made for me years ago that I'd like to include. I'm a little worried about how well it will hold up through multiple washings and what not- is there something I can do to make it last longer? I'm thinking of ironing some interfacing onto the back or sewing it to another piece of fabric so it doesn't get pulled out of shape.
Do you have any experience with this?
in this way everything is connected
caropop

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made quilts for my nephews when they were born that both have large cross-stitched sections on them. Those quilts are 9 and 11 years old now and used regularly and the cross-stitch looks pretty good. And they get machine washed, though my sister is gross about often she washes sheets and bedding.

It's been forever ago, but I think I did put iron-on interfacing on the back of the pieces before sewing them into the quilt.

I would handwash the piece first, with some kind of color catching chemical or something--just in case the floss bleeds. Also, most cheap iron-on interfacing does need pre-shrinking--just put in a sink full of hot water and agitate it a bit and then let it air dry.

When you do the ironing, iron from the back, and don't press too hard on the stitches. If you need to, you can iron unstitched sections from the front, but never never never iron directly on cross-stitched sections as the stitches will flatten and look weird.

it's a blog!
LooseyMama

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl, is the piece from your childhood, or more recent years? A babyquilt can get a lot of wear and tear (especially if it becomes That Blanket, you know), and old quilt fabric can shred.

Maybe Caro's suggestion of interfacing would pre-empt that problem, but I thought I'd mention it. We have some of Mr. M's childhood/teenage years quilts that we put on the boys' beds, and it's a good thing nobody *REALLY* considered them heirlooms....

Knowing how you feel about your mom and Rocketpie, maybe you might want to consider another, less-rugged use? My SIL used old quilt blocks from my mom to make wall hangings for the great-granddaughters and throw pillows for my two boys. The pillows get washed probably less often than they could be, but still need it less than a quilt, I'm thinking.
Pearliepie

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is from my childhood, Loosey- good call :)

The idea of making a wall hanging with it instead is interesting. I'll have to sit and think about it some more. It's been tacked to my pin board for the last 15 years, so it's still in great shape, but yeah, I'd be heartbroken if something happened to it.
in this way everything is connected
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> Works in Progress All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: