SuperNaturaleSuperNaturale

Glitter

Non-lame baby shower games?
View unanswered posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverfish2007

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Non-lame baby shower games? Reply with quote

I'm throwing a baby shower for my sister next month and I am having a hard time coming up with any games that aren't played-out or cheesy. She is adamantly opposed to any games that maker her the center of attention (like "guess mom's belly size" or whatever). The theme is "woodland friends" and we're playing a baby animal matching game, but I'd like to come up with one more.

Any suggestions?
tinyrock

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one shower I went to, we had a match-the-names-to-their-meanings quiz thing that was fun. The organizer used the names of attendees and found the meanings online.

My favorite bridal shower game involves teams of people carving cucumbers... maybe you could have teams make clay babies / rattles / whatever? Having teams of three made it way less stressful re: how much I suck.
puck

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesie decorating!
"
(rawr!)
snoopy

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a game (I guess it's more of an activity than game) where there were cards numbered 1-20 (or however many guests there are) and each guest was randomly given a card. Whatever number they had, they had to write something to the future baby that will be read when they turn that age. So like if you got a 15 card, then you would write some advice or something for him/her to read on their 15th bday.
ruggedchick

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any. Ha! Just kidding. Sort of.

For my cousin's baby shower, I did this game...

Everyone gets a small paper plate. They write their names on the bottom. Then everyone gets a mini can of Play-Doh. (they have the mini cans in packs of 24 at Target for $5.99). The mom-to-be leaves the room for 5 minutes. The guests have that long to scult a baby, which they put on the plate. Everyone puts them in one place like a table so that the mom-to-be doesn't know whose is whose. She comes back into the room and picks the best one.

Also LOVE LOVE snoopy's idea!
Figwit

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snoopy wrote:
I played a game (I guess it's more of an activity than game) where there were cards numbered 1-20 (or however many guests there are) and each guest was randomly given a card. Whatever number they had, they had to write something to the future baby that will be read when they turn that age. So like if you got a 15 card, then you would write some advice or something for him/her to read on their 15th bday.

I LOVE this idea.

I had an awful baby shower (I demanded no games, which was followed but there was a lot of ridiculous drama) and everyone decorated a quilt square with puffy paint, which I wouldn't recommend. I wouldn't lay my baby on something like that, and I didn't need any more blankets because I already made a few quilts and knitted a handful of blankets by that point. Same thing for onesies, but I have a very different way of dressing babies that most people.

small is possible.
ruggedchick

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figwit wrote:
snoopy wrote:

I LOVE this idea.

I had an awful baby shower (I demanded no games, which was followed but there was a lot of ridiculous drama) and everyone decorated a quilt square with puffy paint, which I wouldn't recommend. I wouldn't lay my baby on something like that, and I didn't need any more blankets because I already made a few quilts and knitted a handful of blankets by that point. Same thing for onesies, but I have a very different way of dressing babies that most people.

I had a onesie-making station at mine. I ended up with maybe 15 of them...and I am going to be completely honest, a few of them were trashed right away. (my co-workers 9 year old daughter who by the way I had never met before made a onesie that just said in blue puffy paint "I POOP A LOT". Um, no.) And he didn't wear many of them...but a handful of them were really really nice and thoughtful, and I saved them in the box of "awesome newborn clothes" that I have from his newborn days.
PS

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this for most of the baby showers I host. I love that the mom can hang onto the cards and read through them later.

Wishes for baby: http://laurenmakes.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/freebie-wish-cards/
Chiquita

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend sent out cards with the party invite. It asked questions like.. how did you meet Chiquita .... what will the baby be great at ... what kind of fairy godmother wish would you want for the baby .. etc. She read the cards out loud while gifts were being opened. That might cross your friend's line of not being the center of attention though. Some of the best cards were from friends who couldn't make the shower but sent them in anyway. Very similar to PS's link but with a couple of twists.
turquoisewater

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative to the decorate a quilt square idea is to have people decorate scraps of fabric which will eventually be made into bunting to hang in the baby's room. I did this for a friend's shower. I brought fabric rectangles, fabric paint, and guests each decorated a piece of fabric with wishes for the new baby. Some of the words people came up with were so amazing! After the shower, I collected all the squares, bought a piece of pre-made binding, then sewed them together.
PurpleDoor

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just randomly thought of this when I saw the theme, and it's possible it would be un-workable or too much work...but what about having everyone pitch in on making a felt book of woodland animals? Maybe make a list of possible animals (i.e. owl, robin, rabbit, deer, snail, squirrel, chipmunk, badger, skunk, etc.) and then also check some animal books out of the library so people have images to refer to? Your guests would need to be reasonably crafty, I guess...

I am now fascinated by the idea of felt books though.
miss e

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure about your friends/fam but ... a perennial favorite among our crowd is baby bottle beer chugging. Fill cheap baby bottles with beer and see who can chug it the fastest without biting/chewing up the nipple.

We also do little multiple choice quizzes about mom/dad.
Aryn

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did onesie decorating twice. The first time I just bought a bunch of random supplies, and they all turned out kind of crappy. (photo) And several people just flat-out refused to participate, saying they weren't crafty.

The second time, we did potato prints, it was a little more guided, and they all turned out awesome. This was also a craftier bunch of people. (photo).

Another one we did at my sister's shower is putting her and her husband's names on a piece of paper and then trying to make "baby names" using just those letters. And she picked her favorite at the end, I believe it was "Oinky" - this one is better if you're not taking it too seriously.

At my shower I told them please no crappy games, and one they came up with is splitting us into teams of 5 or so, and then they read the first line of childrens books, and we had to write the name of the book. Kind of like pub quiz :) That was fun, and I got to play too. There were some really hard ones that nobody got, and some easy ones that everybody knew. And some the older folks knew, and some the younger folks knew. You could tailor this to your theme... only books about animals, or something.

They also passed around a journal and everyone wrote their advice/thoughts for us in it. Which I appreciated because I could read on my own time and take it or ignore as I wished. Instead of having to listen to everybody at the shower and be polite!
mohawk

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like what miss e said, we do a father/mother trivia game. "If Bambino decided to style their hair using petroleum jelly, which parent can we blame for passing on this bright idea?" or "If the Bambino won the 5th grade spelling bee, their trophy would sit next to Mom or Dad's?"
browneyedgirl

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another take on the onesie station. Make the "monthly" onesies. A girlfriend cut out the 1-10, and had the fabric squares already cut to size. Make the iron ons, and voila, monthly onesies for the first year!

She also had a calendar and we all put down when we thought Baby Javi would be born, plus our guesses on his birth stats. It was a fun, non cheesy game, and something she could keep for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GLITTER Forum Index -> DIY Parenting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: